The main street has a mix of rustic storefronts and dining for casual shoppers, collectors, and has been a location for Hollywood film makers (Note: Micanopy was the setting for the movie 'Doc Hollywood' starring Michael J Fox). The town also has a wonderful B&B (Herlong Mansion) and exemplifies that which is called Old Florida The Town of Micanopy encompasses 1.03 square miles in rural north-central Florida between Gainesville and Ocala just off Interstate 75, with 700 residents and 300 homes.
- It’s referred to as the “town that time forgot.”
- In 1983, Micanopy made the National Register of Historic Places list.
- Actors River and Joaquin Phoenix lived with their family in Micanopy when they were teenagers.
- The 1990s movie, “Doc Hollywood”, featuring actors Michael J. Fox, Bridget Fonda, and Woody Harrelson, was filmed in Micanopy. The antique shop, Delectable Collectables, was used as a bank in the film.
- - - - - - - - - - personal notes & photos - - - - - - - - - -
Micanopy was one of our earliest photographic destination 'explorations'. It was the oldest inland town in Florida, it has been recognized in several Florida websites as one of the small towns that are a 'must-see', 10 quaint small towns, etc. We have been to/through Micanopy many times to shop the shops, see how it survived during and after COVID and to take a drone of the town. We like this town also since it is close to other Florida things to see - McIntosh, Gainesville, Evinston, and others. And known for the best in those interested in antiques. We are considering an overnight stay in the Herlong Mansion.
Suggested Photo Opportunities
* Historic Micanopy Sign
* Old barn with Coke Cola billboard
* Main Street and various shops
* The Herlong Mansion (Bed and breakfast)
The Town that Time Forgot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2x7EqlUdnM
Authentic Florida - Micanopy
Herlong Mansion https://backpackerverse.com/haunted-herlong-mansion/