It was originally named Disston City in 1884 after Hamilton Disston, an early northern businessman who had purchased millions of acres of Florida land. Demens pushed the railroad on south and in 1888 named the end of the line St. Petersburg after his home town in Russia.
Disston City was renamed Bonifacio, then Veteran City, and finally in 1910 it settled on the name Gulfport. Source: Florida Backroads Travel
Personal Note: this is one of our favorite Low-Light towns, with pubs, restaurants and more nicely lit with artificial light. It s a great place to chill, watch the sunset and enjoy great food. (see additional photos on Google Photos)