See more here.
Facts from the Tour Guide
- deep water port in the Gulf and served as a haven during storms
- directly positioned to take advantage of the Gulf Stream
- 6 million bricks with most walls reaching 8 feet thickness
- 2,000 arches
- all material (except water and sand), labor and food had to be brought in by boat
- 450 canons - any attacked would be met by 150 smaller canons firing every minute
- Ft Jefferson was also a prison
- its most famous prisoner was Dr. Samuel Mudd, who set the broken leg of John Wilkes Booth.