The St. Marks Light is the second-oldest light station in Florida. It is located on the east side of the mouth of the St. Marks River, on Apalachee Bay. There are salt marshes, tidal flats, and freshwater pools here, where back in 1639, the Spanish created Fort San Marcos de Apalache using stones from a nearby limestone quarry. Some of those same stones were used later to build the nearby lighthouse.
- - - - - - - - - personal notes & photos - - - - - - - - - -
As mentioned in this website, Florida lighthouses was one of two initial themes that we explored in order to provide purpose to our travels in Florida. Those two themes were lighthouses and certified wineries. We were attracted to this lighthouse because we decided on one trip to take a limited interstate route along the southern side of the Panhandle to Biloxi. The refuge was gorgeous. The 7-8 miles drive to the lighthouse went past bird watching locations, bike routes, and hikers. When we arrived at the Gulf, the Lighthouse a monument, proudly standing tall.
- St Marks Refuge Main Road and side parking
- Lighthouse Station
- Lighthouse (vertical capture from base)
- Lighthouse from Beach
Wiki ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Marks_National_Wildlife_Refuge
Lighthouse Friends - St Marks